Home World News Trump’s U.S.A.I.D. Cuts Hobble Earthquake Response in Myanmar

Trump’s U.S.A.I.D. Cuts Hobble Earthquake Response in Myanmar

While China, Russia and other nations have rushed emergency response teams to the devastated country, the U.S., once a leader in foreign aid, has been slow to act.

China, Russia and India have dispatched emergency teams and supplies to earthquake-ravaged Myanmar. So have Thailand, Malaysia and Vietnam.

The United States, the richest country in the world and once its most generous provider of foreign aid, has sent nothing.

Even as President Trump was dismantling the U.S. Agency for International Development, he said that American help was on its way to Myanmar, where a 7.7-magnitude earthquake ripped through the country’s heavily populated center on Friday. More than 1,700 people were killed, according to Myanmar’s military government, with the death toll expected to climb steeply as more bodies are uncovered in the rubble and rescue teams reach remote villages.

But a three-person U.S.A.I.D. assessment team is not expected to arrive until Wednesday, people with knowledge of the deployment efforts said. The overall American response has been slower than under normal circumstances, people who have worked on earlier disaster relief efforts as well as on aid to Myanmar said.

Chinese search-and-rescue teams, complete with dogs trained to sniff out trapped people, are already on the ground in Mandalay, Myanmar’s second-largest city and one of the places most deeply affected by the quake. China has pledged $14 million for Myanmar quake relief, sending 126 rescue workers and six dogs, along with medical kits, drones and earthquake detectors.

“Being charitable and being seen as charitable serves American foreign policy,” said Michael Schiffer, the assistant administrator of the U.S.A.I.D. bureau for Asia from 2022 until earlier this year. “If we don’t show up and China shows up, that sends a pretty strong message.”

We are having trouble retrieving the article content.

Please enable JavaScript in your browser settings.


Thank you for your patience while we verify access. If you are in Reader mode please exit and log into your Times account, or subscribe for all of The Times.


Thank you for your patience while we verify access.

Already a subscriber? Log in.

Want all of The Times? Subscribe.

Leave a comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Related Articles

Painting looted by Nazis discovered in home of Dutch SS commander’s family

The renowned painting belonged to the Nazi-looted Goudstikker collection and is believed...

Data reveals 42% drop in Canadian visits to U.S. last year

University of Toronto researchers say cellphone data shows a major drop not...

Iran says it’s ready to “teach a lesson” if U.S. launches new attacks

Iran warns any new U.S. attacks will bring a “bad result,” as...

French media tycoon Vincent Bolloré casts shadow over Cannes opening

As the 79th Cannes Film Festival opens on the Croisette, politics is...