Home Ex-PL and England boss strongly opposes Scholes’ claim on United transfer that’s “too risky”

Ex-PL and England boss strongly opposes Scholes’ claim on United transfer that’s “too risky”


Former Premier League and England manager Sam Allardyce has vehemently disagreed with Paul Scholes’ recent assertion that Tottenham Hotspur defender Cuti Romero would be a success at Manchester United.

Scholes’ Romero demand

Earlier this month, United interim head coach Michael Carrick guided the club to a sensational 2-0 victory over Tottenham at Old Trafford.

Goals from Bryan Mbeumo and Bruno Fernandes were enough to secure United all three points, but the team’s job was made a little bit easier by Romero’s sending off during the opening 45 minutes.

The Argentina international was given his marching orders for a reckless challenge on Casemiro, which left the Brazilian midfielder on the floor writhing in pain. Romero’s red card came off the back of a public statement, in which he questioned the Tottenham hierarchy’s ambitions.

He has repeatedly criticised what he perceives as the North London side’s mediocrity, fuelling strong speculation that he will consider his future at the end of the campaign.

Speaking after the win over Tottenham, Scholes said that he would love United to sign Romero. The United legend insisted that he loves Romero’s character.

However, Allardyce has argued that such a transfer would be “too risky”, noting that Harry Maguire is a far more reliable figure.

Allardyce opposes Scholes’ view

Appearing on the No Tippy Tappy Football podcast, Allardyce was asked whether he would take Romero over Maguire.

Allardyce answered, “Well, too risky. Too risky. Honestly, too risky.”

“He doesn’t… Listen, if you’re a centre-half, your first priority, in respect to what Paul says, and I respect his opinion, is a defender.”

“And how good are you at defending? Not how good are you at playing with the ball?”

On Romero’s ball-playing ability, Allardyce explained, “That’s only an added bonus. Well, it’s, well, people are looking for that more than looking at how good they are as defenders, which is a big problem at academy level.”

“You’ve got all these 30 little coaches going around saying, ‘Can he play out from the back? Can he defend?’ Like full-backs.”

United are next in action on Monday when they go away to Everton.

Featured image Gareth Copley via Getty Images


The Peoples Person has been one of the world’s leading Man United news sites for over a decade. Follow us on Bluesky: @peoplesperson.bsky.social

The post Sam Allardyce strongly opposes Paul Scholes’ Cuti Romero to Man United claim appeared first on Man United News And Transfer News | The Peoples Person.

Leave a comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Related Articles

‘Worrying’ War on Drugs Rhetoric Comes with Human, Financial Costs

BRATISLAVA, February 19 (IPS) – Drug reform campaigners have called for an...

Live Updates: Former Prince Andrew Arrested in Britain Over Epstein Ties

King Charles III said he supported a “full, fair and proper process”...

Zrinjski Mostar vs Crystal Palace: Confirmed line-ups for Europa Conference League play-off

Catch up with all the team news from Zrinjski Mostar vs Crystal...

Fenerbahce vs Nottingham Forest: Confirmed line-ups for Europa League play-off

Catch up with all the team news from Fenerbahce vs Nottingham Forest...